Oregon OLCC and OHA Marijuana Industry News and Events
Official DOR Response to Marijuana Tax Issue
8/28/2019 12:04:43 PM +00:00
We received an official response from the Oregon Department of Revenue regarding the Marijuana Taxation issue and the OMMPOS METRC Sales Reconciliation tool. First a quick timeline.
- OMMPOS was the first Oregon company to begin reporting to METRC in 2016.
- OMMPOS reported GROSS sales values to METRC and NET sales values through our Instant Tax E-file tool from Q2 2016 - Q1 2019.
- In May 2019 we received reports that stores were being taxed at a higher tax rate than they should have been.
- We create the METRC Sales Reconciliation Tool to enable retailers to correct their METRC sales receipts to match their OMMPOS sales receipts.
Yesterday the Oregon Department of Revenue responded to us to let us know that they have been receiving a lot of phone calls with questions about this issue. They wanted us to let you know that
- No customers of OMMPOS or any other point of sales system are being taxed at a higher rate than what their sales records indicate. We rely on taxpayers to correctly report their sales information and are grateful for your continued partnership in that goal
- When we identify a deficiency in the course of an audit we do not necessarily know which point of sales system the retailer is using (and some retailers switch point of sales systems in the course of their business). In the course of several audits within the past year we identified that the sales figures getting reported to OLCC from some retailers did not match the sales figures reported on returns. When retailers provided point of sales records detailing actual sales that corresponded to their returns, we reversed deficiencies.
Please give us a call with any questions. Thank you!
(971) 276 - 3371
Members Featured DOR Marijuana Tax Taxes Sales Reporting
Back to Blog